Starting from October 30, 2023, you can submit applications for the free international script workshops “Script Pitching Academy”. Michał Oleszczyk among the lecturers.
In November, Kosmopolis Institute is launching another educational program targeted towards young filmmakers. This time, the project will be held in Warsaw as part of the 22nd edition of the CINEMAFORUM festival. We invite young screenwriters and directors from Poland, France, Norway, and Ukraine to participate.
The Goals of SPA – Script Pitching Academy
Participants of SPA will not only have the opportunity to develop their screenwriting skills but also to learn:
- How to prepare a film script that has the potential to succeed in the international film market;
- How to present their ideas effectively and engagingly during pitch meetings;
- How to promote themselves and their creative work in the film industry;
- How to establish international relationships and collaborate with filmmakers from other European countries.
Among the lecturers who will share their expert knowledge and professional experience with workshops participants and then evaluate their projects during the final pitch meeting, you will find:
• Michał Oleszczyk – Script consultant, lecturer at the “Artes Liberales” Faculty of the University of Warsaw. Artistic director of the FPFF in Gdynia from 2014 to 2016. Creator of the “SpoilerMaster” podcast. As a literary manager, he has collaborated with CANAL+ on projects like “Pisarze. Serial na krótko,” “The Office PL,” “Planeta singli. Osiem historii,” and “Minuta ciszy.” Co-screenwriter of the film “Wszystkie nasze strachy” directed by Łukasz Ronduda and Łukasz Gutt. Consultant on projects like “Hiacynt” and “Za duży na bajki.” A regular contributor to RogerEbert.com. Recipient of the Krzysztof Mętrak Award (2005) and the PISF Award (2012), nominated for the Polish Film Award for Best Screenplay (for “Wszystkie nasze strachy”).
• Marcin Ciastoń – Graduate in applied linguistics and screenwriting. Winner of the screenplay award for the film “Hiacynt” at the 46th Polish Film Festival in Gdynia. Co-author of the script for the film “Detektyw Bruno” (Script Pro competition honoree, Script Wars competition winner, Golden Lions award for the film at the 47th Polish Film Festival in Gdynia). Screenwriter for “Wyrwa” based on Wojciech Chmielarz’s novel. An upcoming mystery series for Canal+, co-written with a team of screenwriters.
• Anna Dziedzic – PR expert with over 15 years of experience in planning and implementing promotional strategies in the film industry. Currently a Project Manager at CREW UNITED, a European networking platform for filmmakers. For over 6 years, she promoted the polish film industry internationally at Film Commission Poland. She also served as the spokesperson for the Krakow Film Festival, worked at the post-production studio Fixafilm, the National Chamber of Audiovisual Producers, and Alvernia Studios film production company.
Workshop Date and Location
SPA – Script Pitching Academy will take place from November 20 to 26, 2023, at the Andrzej Wajda Centre For Film Culture in Warsaw.
How to Participate?
Script Pitching Academy is a project targeted towards young screenwriters and directors aged 20 to 29 from Poland, France, Norway, and Ukraine.
To make a submission, you have to read the regulations and then complete the application form. The form should include a brief motivational letter and a summary of your planned film project (both in English).
Applications are open until November 6, 2023. Participation in Script Pitching Academy is free.
The Script Pitching Academy project is organized by KOSMOPOLIS Institute – Foundation for Science, Culture and Education in Olsztyn.
The project is co-financed by the European Union.
The main partner of the event is the Andrzej Wajda Centre For Film Culture in Warsaw.
Educational partners include: FILMFORUM Association (Poland), Kinematographe (France), Stiftelsen Amandusfestivalen (Norway), and CinemaHall (Ukraine).
The industry partner of the project is Crew United Poland.